William L. Phalen, III, Partner
William focuses on residential and commercial closings throughout Georgia and Florida. He is a board member and past president of the Georgia Real Estate Closing Attorneys Association (GRECAA) and is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the Bar’s Real Property Law Section (RPLS). His active involvement in those groups gives him a leg up on knowing the legal issues facing consumers and lenders in real estate transactions. As a member of the GRECAA and RPLS Executive Committees, he successfully worked with the Georgia General Assembly to revise Georgia’s Good Funds Law and to pass a bill to strengthen Georgia’s Unauthorized Practice of Law rules to better protect Georgia consumers.
He has given educational seminars to other attorneys, including the following:
- What the New Formal Advisory Opinion Means for Georgia Closings, presentation given at the State Bar of Georgia’s Real Property Law Sections Residential Real Estate CLE in 2015, co-presented with William D. NeSmith, III from the State Bar of Georgia; and
- Ethics: Updates from the UPL Front, presentation State Bar of Georgia’s Real Property Law Sections’ Residential Real Estate CLE in 2014.
He also works to educate his clients and consumers, including presenting numerous home-buyers’ seminars and speaking to lenders about how they are impacted by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau regulations. He is also a contributor to KNOWAtlanta, a relocation guide, writing articles to provide consumers information on real estate closings in Georgia.
William spent his first two years practicing law as a personal injury litigation attorney with Ellerin & Associates in Atlanta. He later switched to practicing real estate law-- what he calls “happy law”--and enjoys seeing each transaction successfully completed to the satisfaction of all parties. He works hard in his practice, with his paralegals’ help, to be sure that each transaction happens smoothly, even if there are wrinkles behind the scenes. He’s practiced real estate law for over eleven years now.
William can also help with simple estate planning, advanced directives, and powers of attorney. His elderly father lives with him, so William knows the importance of having these documents in place before you need them.
A member of the State Bar of Georgia, William is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, the Georgia Court of Appeals, and all Georgia Superior Courts.
Originally from St. Simons Island, Georgia, he now lives in Marietta with his wife, three children, and his father.
- Residential Real Estate Transactions
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Simple Estate Planning
- Georgia State University College of Law, cum laude, J.D.
- Georgia State University Robinson College of Business, M.B.A.
- University of Georgia, B.A.